Post this information for a friend. Please send email to inquire.
TITLE: STAFF ELECTRO-MECHANICAL ENGINEER
SEGMENT/UNIT: BD MEDICAL/Medication and Procedural Solutions
LOCATION: FRANKLIN LAKES, NJ
BD is a global medical technology company that is focused on improving drug therapies, enhancing the quality and speed of diagnosing infectious diseases, and advancing research and discovery of new drugs and vaccines. BD has state-of-the-art facilities around the globe that provide an environment which enables our highly talented workforce to be the best at their professions. We hire associates who have a passion and commitment to “Helping all people live healthy lives.” We are always seeking great people to join our Company on its journey to greatness.
In March 2015, CareFusion, a leading provider of healthcare technology and services for medication management, infection prevention, respiratory care and surgical procedures, joined BD as part of our worldwide Medical segment. Together, our companies will form one of the largest global leaders in medication management and patient safety solutions.
The Staff Mechanical Engineer will design, develop, build and characterize innovative and complex electro-mechanical products and systems complex medical device prototypes in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary technology development team. A particular focus is the development of printer and labeling device. The engineer will apply fundamental engineering principles to achieve sound and sustainable device designs. This position entails requirements management, generating system and component level concepts and designs, implementation of the solutions in hardware and firmware, performing experiments, analysis of data, and ensures robust verification testing.
The engineer will serve as the technical expert on the team and will interface with Clinical, Marketing, Medical and Operations as necessary to achieve the desired device performance, reliability and manufacturability.
- With minimal supervision, provide advanced engineering skills, technology development, and product evaluation support.
- Plan, implement, monitor and deliver designated tasks and deliverables. Be accountable for success of assigned tasks and deliverables as well as tasks and deliverable of R&D team members
- Design, assemble and evaluate rapid prototype models in order to assess technical feasibility of various solutions.
- Develop robust test methods and design test fixtures to ensure that selected materials and prototype designs are accurately evaluated against the specification and requirements.
- Conceptualize, develop and execute on reliability engineering test methods (such as HALT/HASS) to characterize reliability of electromechanical and electronic systems.
- Perform system reliability testing per design specifications and facilitate transition of product designs to full production.
- Create solutions for technical problems using systematic problem-solving methodologies.
- Participate in periodic design reviews of projects.
- Maintain an overview of relevant technologies and products and conduct hands-on evaluation of competitive products, materials and procedures.
- Author protocols and reports including engineering studies using basic statistical methods.
- Develop understanding of internal and external customer needs and processes to ensure relevant and innovative solutions.
- Actively participate in training to improve skills. Ensure technical lessons are reviewed, learned, and disseminated. Actively teach and promote learning. Formal and informal written and verbal communication within the team and with the rest of the organization to ensure dissemination of important information.
- Drive external subsystem development activities.
- Ensure compliance with internal quality policies, procedures, and practices through appropriate communication, training, and education of sound quality assurance principles.
- Ensure compliance to applicable laws and standards.
- S in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- Masters or PhD is preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience with the development of novel electro-mechanical devices, preferentially encompassing all stages from early concept development until product launch.
- Expertise in development of cross-functional systems, including integration with analog/digital signal processing, electrical/electronic systems, software and optical systems.
- Experience in design for reliability and design for manufacturing
- Experience in modeling, simulations and sensitivity analyses.
- Proficiency with one of the CAD design tools (SolidWorks, Pro/E, AutoCAD).
- Exposure to Human factors engineering (preferably in the medical space) including user studies and usability documentation
- Experience as member of a cross functional project team
- Expertise in common risk management techniques (FMEA, FTA, ETA).
- Proficiency with basic statistical techniques including familiarity with analysis of variance (ANOVA) and design of experiment (DOE) methodologies.
- Proficiency in generating customer requirements and writing product requirements, specifications, test protocols, and test reports.
- Good understanding of printing technology, printers and printer system components (printheads, inks, ink delivery systems and supplies etc)
- Experience in the development of complex instrument systems involving hardware, electronics, and optics, ideally in a healthcare, medical technology or life sciences area.
- Experience in Phase Gated Product Development process.
- Experience with design best practices, including advanced tolerance design, design for reliability, and design for reusability.
- Experience developing printing, bar coding and/or labeling devices
- Experience contracting with, and managing, third party hardware consultants within and outside the U.S.
- Strong sense of accountability and action orientation
- Design for six sigma
- Systematic problem solving skills, a strong desire & ability to learn and acquire new skills, knowledge and subject matter.
- Ability to identify, break down and solve complex technical problems.
- Must be comfortable making practical assumptions with engineering justifications, where needed.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraints.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Effective interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Effective meeting and presentation skills.
BD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer